A couple of weeks ago, Elizabeth Gilbert wrote a post that stopped me in my tracks.
Here it is in it’s entirety:
For the next TWO DAYS, I walked around my house, the grocery store, looked at my email, my schedule, my closet, my refrigerator…. all the while mumbling NOT THIS.
Not this blouse.
Not this class.
Not that food.
Not that relationship.
Not that story.
I am guessing you are going to be doing the same. THIS is GOOD! WHY is this good? Because the LAST thing that you want to have happen is that 10 years goes by and you have built a life around NOT THIS.
As Elizabeth Gilbert says ” You don’t need to know where you are going to admit that where you are standing RIGHT NOW is wrong.”
Just consider the following:
1. What ONE thing that is happening right now that your gut is saying NOT THIS? It could be something as simple as that Quadruple Mochachocolattayaya you are about to order.
2. That ONE thing? Why are you still doing it?
3. That ONE thing? How long have you been doing it? Weeks, months, years?
4. That ONE thing? What if you didn’t do it? What if you NEVER did it? What if you woke up tomorrow and couldn’t even THINK it? Who would you be and what would you be doing?
5. That ONE thing? Will you say it out loud today? Will you write it down? Will you whisper in the car?
6. Read THIS by David Whyte: http://www.davidwhyte.com/english_santiago.html
That’s all for now. Just sit with this. Just being aware that you are doing a whole lot of NOT THIS is enough. When you are ready, just stop doing NOT THIS and START making choices that scream DEFINITELY THIS.